Explore The West Wight
Here are 5 Itineraries for You to Enjoy in the West Wight:-
1. Pick up Route A from Yarmouth and ask to be dropped off at Fort Victoria Country Park – Built on the north shore of the Isle of Wight to guard the Solent, the remains of Fort Victoria now house an Underwater Archaeology Centre, a Planetarium and a Model Railway. The surrounding Country Park offers seashore and woodland walks and the site is one of the best vantage points for watching boats and shipping on the Solent. Cafe and picnic area. Pleasant walk along shore back to Yarmouth.
2. Pick up Route A or C from Yarmouth to Freshwater Bay where you will find Dimbola Lodge, the home of the celebrated Victorian photographer, Julia Margaret Cameron. It is now a Museum and Gallery dedicated to her life and work and which also showcases contemporary exhibitions from photographers around the world. Walk the Tennyson Down and if you are feeling energetic, continue onto the Needles Headland for even more splendid views. If not, come back to Freshwater Bay, visit one of the cafes and catch the FYTbus to Freshwater and Yarmouth.
3. Pick up the Route B bus from Freshwater and take a trip to Turf Walk overlooking Totland Bay and Hurst Point. Ask to get off at the steps leading down to Totland Bay and then enjoy the beach. You can walk along the Coastal Path to Colwell Bay where there is a very good sandy beach and various cafes. Walk back to Yarmouth, or if you prefer, catch the FYTbus at the Colwell Bay carpark for a ride back to Freshwater. Route C goes to Turf Walk in the afternoons.
4. In the morning, take either the A or B bus and get off at the Co-op and walk to Yarmouth along the old railway line which borders the River Yar. In the afternoon, you can pick up the C bus from Yarmouth and ask to get off at Hooke Hill. Walk down past the Red Lion and turn left from the Causeway to the old railway line back to Yarmouth.
5. Use either a B or C route bus to get to the FYTbus shop on The Broadway at Totland. Come and browse through our ever changing collection of pre-owned clothes, books, china, glassware, kitchenware and accessories, toys, board games, CDs and DVDs. You never know what hidden gems you may find!
10am-4pm Monday to Friday, 10am – 1pm Saturday